TO THOSE OF YOU NOT FAMILIAR WITH JOE ARPAIO HE IS THE MARICOPA ARIZONA COUNTY SHERIFF AND HE KEEPS GETTING ELECTED OVER AND OVER.
This is one of the reasons why:
Sheriff Joe Arpaio (in Arizona) who created the "tent city jail":
- He has jail meals down to 40 cents a serving and charges the inmates for them. [Saving the taxpayers money - what a great (and novel) idea!]
- He stopped smoking and porno magazines in the jails. Took away their weights. [It's not like they need all that stuff anyway]
- Cut off all but "G" movies. [Maybe if they watched more G movies before they got into prison, they might not be there in the first place!]
- He started chain gangs so the inmates could do free work on county and city projects. [Again, saving taxpayer money]
- Then he started chain gangs for women so he wouldn't get sued for discrimination. [Sounds reasonable to me!]
- He took away cable TV until he found out there was a federal court order that required cable TV for jails. So he hooked up the cable TV again only let in the Disney channel and the weather channel. When asked why the weather channel he replied, so they will know how hot it's gonna be while they are working on my chain gangs.
- He cut off coffee since it has zero nutritional value.
- When the inmates complained, he told them, "This isn't the Ritz/Carlton. If you don't like it, don't come back." [BOOYAH!!!]
More on the Arizona Sheriff:
With temperatures being even hotter than usual in Phoenix (116 degrees just set a new record), the Associated Press reports: About 2,000 inmates living in a barbed-wire-surrounded tent encampment at the Maricopa County Jail have been given permission to strip down to their government-issued pink boxer shorts. [If pink panties are good enough for our nation's liberals, they should be good enough for our inmates!] On Wednesday, hundreds of men wearing boxers were either curled up on their bunk beds or chatted in the tents, which reached 138 degrees inside the week before. Many were also swathed in wet, pink towels as sweat collected on their chests and dripped down to their pink socks. "It feels like we are in a furnace," said James Zanzot, an inmate who has lived in the tents for 1 year. "It's inhumane." [Oh, poor baby! If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!]
Joe Arpaio, the tough-guy sheriff who created the tent city and long ago started making his prisoners wear pink, and eat bologna sandwiches, is not one bit sympathetic. He said Wednesday that he told all of the inmates: "It's 120 degrees in Iraq and our soldiers are living in tents too, and they have to wear full battle gear, but they didn't commit any crimes, so shut your damned mouths!" [Amen! Preach it!]
Way to go, Sheriff! Maybe if all prisons were like this one there would be a lot less crime and/or repeat offenders. Criminals should be punished for their crimes - not live in luxury until it's time for their parole, only to go out and commit another crime so they can get back in to live on taxpayers money and enjoy things taxpayers can't afford to have for themselves.
Sheriff Joe was just reelected Sheriff in Maricopa County, Arizona.