Friday, September 01, 2006

Are You A Happy Hooker?

No - it's not what you think (shame on you!)

Bethanie's Afghan

This is crochet we're talking about, an age-old craft that uses little more than some yarn, a hook, and a few free evenings.

I first learned to crochet from my mom when I was... oh, boy... that long ago? 9 or 10 I think. Anyhow, mom used to crochet all the time. I would watch in utter fascination as she would do her handiwork (afghans mostly), and asked if she could teach me. She handed me a book on it, which I proceded to read through it (this was when I discoved that I liked being self-taught and that I really enjoyed how-to books), and with some guidance from mom, it wasn't long before I had the chain stich and single crochet down pretty good. Next came double, half-double, and treble crochet.

I stopped doing crochet after a while (don't remember why - maybe part of that whole teen angst business, who knows?), but picked it up again after getting married and while Patti was pregnant with MJ, our oldest. Managed to keep at it long enough to make a baby blanket for MJ, another one for Bethanie when the time came, and completed most of a lapghan (a smaller version of an afghan) for Patti before I got distracted by a bazillion other things. Never did get around to finishing that lapghan, nor did I make a baby blanket for Thomas (I somehow doubt he'd want that baby blanket now that he's almost 10).

Patti's Afghan #2
Patti's Pillows #2

I have only this past spring started up crocheting again, and am still at it. I've made afghans (plus coordinating pillows) for all three kids (a picture of Bethanie's is up at the top of this blog entry), plus 2 afghan/pillow sets for Patti (the most recent set, the one I finished over the summer) is shown, right.

Additionally, I just completed an afghan for mom for her and Bernie's (my stepdad) place down in Florida where they spend their winters. We'll be heading out to New York this afternoon for Labor Day weekend, and I'll be giving her the afghan then - kinda a "thank you" of sorts.

And since we're heading out shortly, I'll just wrap this up for now.

Happy hooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment